Monday 15 July 2013

Little Gay Girls and BIG White Weddings (JULY)



“Can I ask you something?”
“Sure.”
“Do you not feel sad you won’t have the ‘big day’?”
“What big day?”
“The ‘big white wedding day’!!!”
“OH, oh that big day....ahh....No.”

S
o went one of many conversations I’ve had with straight friends over the years. No offense meant of course, just a lack of understanding. What people don’t seem to realise is that most little Gay girls don’t grow up day dreaming about getting married in a church with the big dress and hundreds of people, because ultimately it would have to be to a man.
I just never understood the obsession of sketching out my wedding dress when I was 11yrs old. I suppose I didn’t know why at the time, maybe I just thought I wasn’t much of a drawer. My friends would all be there sitting in a circle shading in bridesmaid dresses and finalising guest numbers. Meanwhile all I could think was there were conquers outside that weren’t gona sort themselves.
But maybe all this is about to change. I mean when I was growing up the idea of two men or two women getting married was....well unlikely at best. Now we have civil Partnerships and the possibility of Gay Marriage is finally on the horizon.
In the not too distance future we might have little Gay 11yrs old girls (and boys) sketching along with their peers. Asking age old questions like...are 4 bridesmaids too many? Is chocolate cake too tacky? And more importantly, will my Doc Martins clash with my dress?
The future is bright, the future is rainbow                                        SME

No comments:

Post a Comment